St John's Church
c.950-1485; 1464 Tower by William Smythe; original churchyard (?North Binne) included Nos 27 and 29 High Street; High Street frontage late medieval timber cottages: removed and wall/railings erected 1820; churchyard lowered 1822; churchyard closed 1850; National School built 1861; Infant School built 1867; War memorial c. 1920 designed by Bligh Bond including fragments of cross excavated by him in the Abbey
1844 Tythe No 1
C15. Perp. One of the most ambitious parish churches in Somerset. Described by Leland as a 'fair lightsome church'. Cruciform with aisled nave and clerestorey of 7 bays, chancel chapels. 2-storey south porch, and excellent fan-vaulted west tower with elaborate buttressing, panelling and battlements. Contents include 4 C15 tomb-chests, some C15 glass in chancel, medieval vestments, and a domestic cupboard of about 1500 which was once at Witham Priory. The church was only partly restored by Scott. NOTE: In 1858 - new window in south chancel aisle added by Scott.
2 gatepiers at south entrance to churchyard. About 1860. Ashlar. Approx 8 high. Each of 10 sides, with cornice and pyramidal top having crenellations. Gothic panelled sides. Both piers are attached to low walls, formerly supporting railings around churchyard. Ashlar with plinth and coping. A further pier with coped top stands attached to the wall, opposite the west door of the church.